Sunday 27 September 2009

Heather's Apple-Zucchini Muffins

The first time I heard about this kind of muffins was on Heather's blog. So I thought I'd give her recipe a try and see what happens. Well..here they are and , beleive me they are delicious! Please be lenient, that was the first time I've ever baked apple-zucchini muffins but they are soooo tasty! Here's Heather's recipe:
Apple Zucchini MuffinsAdapted from Easy Gluten Free Baking from Elizabeth Barbone1 cup white rice flour1/2 cup of sweet rice flour1/4 of cornstarch1 tablespoon of baking powder* Please note that if you are using a mix, or if you are making these using regular flour, this is where you will pick up from 6 Tbs butter (vegan works fine with this recipe) 1/4 cup honey 1/4 cup of applesauce, OR 1 egg 3/4 cup of milk (almond, coconut or rice can be substituted) If you are using large fruit like cranberries, blueberries or raspberries, you will use 3/4 cupIf using grated veggies or fruit like apple or zucchini, you will use 1 to 1/2 cups.For the apple zucchini muffins I added in 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of nutmegPreheat over to 350Whisk together dry ingredientsIn a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar for one minuteAdd egg or applesauceBlend wellAdd half of the dry ingredients and mix until dough formsAdd milkAdd spices of choiceIn a small bowl, coat fruit with the cornstarch and fold into batter along with 1/2 cup of oats if desiredSpoon batter into muffin tins and either freeze or bake for 15-20 minutesFor frozen muffins, the cooking time may be a bit longerRemove and cool.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Oh I am so glad that you like them! I have never really had anyone give me any kind of feedback from the recipes I post, so this is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it :)

Stefania said...

This sounds a very healthy recipe, Anastasia, although I would never imagine combining apples and zucchini for a muffin. I love muffins and so does all the family but I use chocolate and nuts mostly. I am not sure the boys will like them but I will give them a try.

Constantinos said...

Sounds yummy, Anastasia and indeed very healthy. They also look lovely as they come directly out of your oven. I see that you have made a great progress in cooking.

Anastasia Marou said...

***Heather, I really liked these muffins so much! I used the eggs instead of the applesauce, though, fearing that there would be too much apple or that they'd be too sweet.

*** Stefania, Alkis hates zucchini and I did make the big mistake to tell him I used zucchini to bake these muffins. But he loved them! I know it sounds a funny combination (apple and zucchini) but, believe me, they are sooooo tasty!

*** Yes, I have, Constantine mou! And I'm beginning to enjoy cooking now.

Lakis I said...

Interesting combination of ingredients but not for me, thanks! I can't imagine myself eating apples and zucchini at the same time!

sand dune said...

I personally love wheat bran muffins with raisins. They're great for breakfast. But I like this recipe and might give it a try.